Monday, July 21, 2014

Hollow Wood Surfboard

Here's a photo set of my latest project - a hollow Paulownia wood surfboard. Its 5.'9" by 20" wide and 2.25" thick. I took initial lines off of a Hayden Shapes Hypto Crypto but ultimately made some changes to the dimensions (some on purpose and some by mistake!) The board is unique in that I used light weight bent struts to support the deck rather than the typical plywood fishbone approach. I also slipped in a light layer of fiberglass under the deck for additional strength and fiberglass tape on the inside seems of the bottom skin. Both top and bottom skins are 1/4 inch so I would have enough material to shape bottom contours. Once glassed this board should still be relatively light. Check out a full photo set here

No comments:

Post a Comment